Glasgow, Scotland


Glasgow Queen Street Railway Station


Exterior shot of one of the buildings near the university belt


Glasgow's City Chambers (roughly equivalent to a City Hall), is at the eastern end of George Square in the heart of the city. Most visitors to Glasgow find their way there and admire the fine building and the statues of some of the people honoured by the city.


James Oswald MP statue in George Square


The Statue of Thomas Campbell in George Square.

Thomas Campbell was an important transitional figure. Although he lived and wrote during the height of the Romantic period, he preferred the classical poetry of the eighteenth century. Yet like many other writers and thinkers of his day, he was caught up in the enthusiasm for expanded freedom generated by the American Revolution and the early days of the French Revolution. His major work, "The Pleasures of Hope," embodies the humanitarian idealism he shared with the great Romantics. Today he is remembered as a poet of freedom, patriotism, and social concern, and for his influence on many contemporaries and successors.

The youngest of the eleven children of Alexander and Margaret Campbell, Thomas Campbell was a native of Glasgow, Scotland. He received a traditional literary education at Glasgow University, where he enrolled in autumn 1791 at the age of fourteen. He attended five six-month sessions, leaving in May 1796. The next year he moved to Edinburgh to find work as a tutor and compiler of books for the booksellers.


Exterior of one of the old buildings in Glasgow City


Provand's Lordship; The oldest house in Glasgow, built in 1471


Glasgow Cathedral - Founded by St Mungo, Patron Saint of Glasgow


The cathedral was consecrated in 1136 in the presence of King David I. But this building was destroyed by fire and the present building was started in 1197 by Bishop Jocelyn and this was largely completed by the end of the 13th century. The "Glasgow Fair" which is still celebrated to this day, was started by Bishop Jocelyn. The cathedral was expanded and reconstructed in the 15th century. At the Reformation of the church, many ecclesiastical buildings were destroyed in Scotland but Glasgow Cathedral survived, partly because it was capable of being shared by the different congregations


Legend says that St Mungo came to bury a monk at a cemetery dedicated to St Ninian, on the banks of the Molendinar Burn, a tributary of the river Clyde. Saint Mungo became patron saint of Glasgow and a church, associated with him, was established beside the cemetery and became the centre of Glasgow which grew up around it.


A flight of stairs takes visitors to a "Lower Church" where some of the early 12th century stonework is still visible. The tomb of St Mungo is also located here and there are fragments of an old 13th century shrine to the Saint.

Also below the level of the main cathedral is the Blacader Aisle, built in the 15th century but said to occupy the site of the 5th century burial ground consecrated by St Ninian.







Visit Edinburgh City -- the capital of Scotland after the jump.

BACK TO TRAVEL MENU